View Single Post
Old 05-30-2012, 04:10 PM   #21
Refplace

Default Re: Different critical spell failure tables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
I'm also not saying ad hocking can't work towards a world feel, if it is ad hocking according to a metaphysical model that constrains what can and cannot happen, usually an explicit pre-determined model, but it could be an intuitive model instead for a few GMs who are specifically gifted at that.

I happen to dislike ad hocking, but that is for other world feel reasons. And I maintain that most GMs who ad hoc critical spell failures do so in a whimsical and unconstrained manner that will fail utterly at achieving any world feel.
I sometimes took notes but yeah most of the stuff I did in my games involved a lot of improv as I tried not to steer the players so all kinds of things could happen. But with a firm grasp of the worlds metaphysics and overarching plots and flavor I tended to make it all fit together. At least two of my old group loved that and tried ot make predictions based on events most of the time not knowing till much later what was off the cuff and what was planned for ahead of time.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote