View Single Post
Old 02-04-2020, 08:34 AM   #4
Varyon

Default Re: An Alternative to Warp

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
It is probably cheaper to buy modified Warp and link it to an Innate Attack.
The character in question has a pretty short range for his "warp," as I meant it as an attack power rather than a movement power. Actually, thinking further on it, it occurs to me that what I'm wanting works better if only the extra movement from Enhanced Move has the warp effect. That is, for the Move 5 character with Enhanced Move 2 (Warp), his actual "warp range" is only 15 yards, but he can move 5 yards normally at the same time (visually, the character keeps running forward, warping from time to time). Honestly, this is probably more balanced, as we're only paying for the Warp/Linear Warp Enhancement for the Enhanced Move, not for the base movement ability.

Back to the short range, Green Shadow would probably have either Enhanced Move 0.5 or Enhanced Move 1 (and probably a base Move of 7 or 8, meaning a Warp Move of 3, 4, 7, or 8, and total movement of 10, 12, 14, or 16 yards in a second). Assuming the smallest range, and ignoring Reliable, his Warp would be Warp (Link +10%; No Dice Roll Required +100%; Maximum Range 10 yards -50%), for [160] normally, [105] with MM. The attack would be something like Burning Attack 5d (1 yard Cone +60%; Link +10%; Reduced Max 1/10 -15%), for [39] normally, [37] with MM; for a final cost of [199] or [142]. Meanwhile, Enhanced Move 1 (Flight; Linear Warp +150%; Only While Insubstantial -10%) would be [48] normally, or [45] with MM. Insubstantiality (Affects Substantial +100%; No Encumbrance +10% Active Defense -40%; Only While Warping -10%) would be [128] normally, or [84] with MM. The attack would be Burning Attack 5d (Affects Substantial +40%; Aura +80%; Melee C -30%; Only While Insubstantial -10%), for [45] normally, [33] with MM; for an end cost of [221] or [162]. So, yes, Warp ends up being a bit cheaper (although if Green Shadow has IQ 10, he'd require Reliable 3, for [+15] or [+8], which gets things a bit closer). Of course, the game-breaking aspect of Affect Substantial that causes it to be so expensive isn't present here; ignoring its price on Insubstantiality and the attack reduces us from [221]/[162] to [131]/[116]. I'll give it further thought; simply reducing the price of Affects Insubstantial may be more appropriate. An appropriate alternative may be Diffuse (Infiltration) with Walk on Air - Diffuse (Infiltration +40%; Active Defense -40%; Only While Warping -10%) would be [90] or [70], while Walk on Air (Active Defense -40%; Only While Warping -10%) would be [10], for an end cost of [183]/[152]. Again, I'll need to give it some thought (Shadow Form may also be an option).