View Single Post
Old 12-04-2019, 04:22 PM   #22
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: Best Fictional Settings for GURPS Horror [Horror]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post

It would almost be trivially easy to make a sci fi horror using Star Trek. Literal gods running around, mind control, transporter accidents changing your very nature and sense of self, time travel everywhere, etc.
And yet it wouldn't be horror, because the characters are Big Damn Heroes who spend a lot of time being fearless even when they shouldn't be, and who command (literal) planet-destroying power of their own. That's my general issue with a lot of things considered "horror" by some, including Supernatural, which I consider monster hunters and thus occult action, and Vampire: The Masquerade, which is supernatural supers: The heroes have the means to strike back. It's true that Captain Kirk and friends are routinely rendered powerless, but they all have stupidly high IQ to figure out workarounds, and plot immunity (Luck, Serendipity, whatever) to bail them out when brains aren't enough.

Horror in Star Trek would work better if it were a bunch of standalone stories about mysterious visitors in gold, blue, and red who materialize out of nowhere and use godlike powers to mess with generally lower-tech societies that lack the means to comprehend them. For instance, they show up to traumatize children in "Miri," and to wreck a society in "The Omega Glory." The PCs would be the locals, and the adventures would be one-shots.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote