View Single Post
Old 01-10-2017, 10:11 PM   #13
Icelander

Default Re: [Ritual Path Magic or Path/Book] Life-sustaining warmth ritual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
In RPM you can set the greater and lesser categories freely as the DM wills

It will of course be more work than just saying 'follow what's written in the book'
Yes, but in RPM, you can perform rituals with no thought of any conservation of energy. Healing doesn't demand the sacrifice of health and in the rules as written, the kind of necessary elements of rituals that I envision being necessary for mortals to use them at all only count as small cost reductions.

Path/Book magic generally suits me better in that with the appropriate Very Low Mana I favour for worlds which outwardly resemble our own, ritual use is impossible for even magically-aware mortals without a massive bonus from various ritual elements, e.g. from location, sacrifice or magical correspondance. It's not the difference between 12 energy and 9 energy, it's the difference between rolling at -10 and rolling at full skill. Path/Book is held back from being my ideal system by lacking a way to represent any fictional or imagined ritual that isn't already written up in Thaumatology.

I haven't actually run a game where every magical effect had an equal, but opposite reaction, but now that I consider it, this seems perfect for the feel of magic in a game of investigating horrible mysteries. But I don't know how to codify it in game terms.

What did the magic system for GURPS Discworld end up doing?