View Single Post
Old 10-05-2019, 11:20 AM   #2
whswhs

Default Re: Evil Player characters/PvP games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
What are your thoughts on evil Player Characters and Player-versus-Player play?

Me, I don't allow either. Evil characters tend to very quickly derail the kind of campaigns I want to run. As for PvP - I allow minor conflicts and so on, but the problem is that they have a tendency to spiral out of control and, again, derail the campaign.
I don't think these are equivalent.

I have run an entire campaign—it was Mage: The Ascension—where the PCs were in different factions. Three of them were Wu Lung; one was Wu-keng; one was Virtual Adept; and one was Akashic Brotherhood. They fell into opposed factions based on the Wu-keng/Wu Lung hostility. There were very few scenes where all of them were on camera together, a number where I was doing cross cutting, and occasional fights between the factions. It went fine and the players had a good time.

But I rarely do "good versus evil" because I don't really believe that the real world has an absolute moral frame, and I'm not usually interested in fictional settings that do. My conflicts are "this point of view against that point of view."

On the other hand, when I ran a campaign set in Middle-Earth, I did assume intrinsic good vs. intrinsic evil. But I also required the PCs to be on the side of good. Likewise when I did a Buffyverse campaign.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote