View Single Post
Old 10-18-2014, 03:26 AM   #33
TallIan

Default Re: Typical ST for a war bow?

As a long term archer, both modern bows and more recently medieval style longbows, I would say that the ability to draw such heavy weight bows boils down more to specific training than general strength.

Technique plays a HUGE role, I have seen many new archers struggle to pull light bows when they start. Then once they master pulling with the correct muscles, they see a huge jump in upper bow strength.

There is also the fact that someone who exercises only one muscle will have that muscle much stronger than any other muscles. Doing months of bicep curls will not help you do leg extensions.

Through my teens I was never particularly strong, yet I could draw far heavier bows than any of my friends.

While I will allow that drawing a bow is not really an isolation exercise and will give you generally improved strength. The ability to draw 150lb bow will be more due to slightly above average strength and great technique.

In summary I would say that your mook archers are better designed with St 13 max with some other abilities that allow them to draw the heavy bows. Or perhaps a house rule that links bow skill to max bow strength, eg +1 str per 5 skill.

Tall
TallIan is offline   Reply With Quote