View Single Post
Old 10-18-2014, 03:23 AM   #32
Tomsdad

Default Re: Typical ST for a war bow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Strength is only one of many requirements for swordsmen.
In RL yes

Only in GURPS it's ST and skill* are what counts in melee. More over because of the multiple areas ST helps in GURPS I'd argue its more valuable for melee fighter who will not just use it increase damage potential but use it to withstand blows, and possibly grapple with, and wear armour with.

*including DX same as for archers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
For war archers it's far and away the number one feature.
Pulling back a 180 lb bow repeatedly is jaw dropping amazing regardless of stat normalization or distaste for "outliers".
I agree, I absolutely agree which is why I set up something to allow people to do something so amazing. It's just I don't let them be equally jaw dropping amazing in every other aspect that ST in GURPS reflects. A 180lb bow is ST19, so an human archer with base ST enough to draw that is as strong overall as a grizzly bear?!

If for no other reason such bowmen have dedicated their training to do that specific jaw dropping amazing thing, and not all the rest that a high base ST in GURPS gives you.

And again your point about a dislike for outliers doesn't apply, these weren't one or two individuals were talking about, there were thousands and thousands* of these archers drawing bows that would need ST17+

*At Agincourt the English had 6000-7500 archers, and that was on a campaign on foreign soil (although I imagine Henry did his best to get as many as he could over)
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote