View Single Post
Old 03-01-2017, 05:36 PM   #20
wellspring

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#34): Destiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
This is why I'm very saddened by discussion veering into IB/MH. Because I want more insight into ensuring that Destiny-characters get their Destined Thing.
I've never had a problem running games with Destinies, but I'm pretty manipulative and fast on my feet when I'm the GM. And my players and I are willing to metagame in support of a Destiny. We cut our teeth in very narrative style story-focused games, in the "collaborative storytelling" mindset.

IMO that's the only way you can do this, because otherwise your players will be wriggling on the fishing hook trying to either get our of their Destiny or to use the fact that they're Destined to bail them out of trouble that comes before their doom is full-wrought. The perverse incentives and vagueness are to me the major problem.

And of course, the IB/MH approaches appeared because this really is very hard to run at the gaming table, especially in gamier styles of play. Even for my style of play I appreciate having some of the storytelling plot contrivances that get the PCs back on track being in the hands of the players. With original Destiny, the whole problem is dropped into the GM's lap.
wellspring is offline   Reply With Quote