View Single Post
Old 10-25-2016, 09:50 AM   #19
Andreas

Default Re: Giving mental disadvantages as results of behaviour?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnome View Post
I'll require that PCs take one of a list of "good guy" disadvantages: Charitable, Honesty, Code of Honor, Pacifism, Selfless, Sense of Duty, etc. I think most normal people have some "good" disadvantages (call me an optimist), and even somewhat morally compromised non-sociopaths probably just have higher self-control numbers.
It is indeed common for people to be charitable, honest or have a code of honor etc.

However that does not at all mean that they have those GURPS disadvantages! Having Charitable does not just mean that you behave in a way that is generally considered charitable. It means you feel compelled to help "even legitimate enemies" and that you "must offer assistance, even if that means violating orders or walking into a potential trap".

GURPS disadvantages often represent rather extreme character traits. Quirk level disadvantages are often more appropriate for the character traits of normal people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
So are 5 point Codes of Honor (religious ones or just "civilized person").
Most people who have a code of honor don't follow it strictly enough to qualify for the Code of Honor disadvantage. For that disadvantage you have to follow it "at all times" and "You will do nearly anything – perhaps even risk death – to avoid the label “dishonorable” (whatever that means).".

Last edited by Andreas; 10-25-2016 at 09:59 AM.
Andreas is offline   Reply With Quote