View Single Post
Old 10-25-2016, 06:12 AM   #14
McAllister

Default Re: Giving mental disadvantages as results of behaviour?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vodrilus View Post
That might work even in this campaign, yes. But knowing my players, I would be slightly worried about this idealistic mechanic turning into a point generator. :)
I'm not sold on the idea "you are what you repeatedly do" as pertains to humans, but with regards to character into whose lives we necessarily have only a small window, it makes sense. More importantly, seems like a fun sort of roleplaying addition.

Here's my idea: short-circuit the point generation by bundling an appropriate Advantage with the Disadvantage and presenting it as something that can be modified within thematic constraints. In this case, say to the player "I've noticed you've been playing Albert as pretty bloodthirsty. How would you feel about taking the Bloodthirsty (12-) disadvantage? I know that's normally worth -10 points, so I'd throw in two levels of Social Regard: Feared in the bargain." Or if the character has been diligently cleaning up after the killing, offer two levels of Higher Purpose: Getting Away With it. Or the player could say "I don't see Albert as being feared by ordinary people, since he doesn't advertise that he kills people all the time, but maybe word's gotten around to some shady sorts of people who'd appreciate it. How about I get 4 points of Streetwise and 6 points of Contacts in the underworld?"

How's that strike you?
McAllister is offline   Reply With Quote