Thread: Dodgin' Bullets
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2016, 11:50 AM   #14
Gnomasz

Default Re: Dodgin' Bullets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF_Ninja View Post
In a comparative lineup, one can reflexively dodge a swing from a baseball bat or a thrust from a knife; one can even conceivably duck or twist to avoid a well-aimed arrow (although I, having shot my share of bows, would consider that a degree more difficult; arrow velocity is not negligible); but most firearms launch a projectile at several hundred feet per second in general.

And yet they all get the same success roll vs. dodge.
Insight?
No matter the velocity, the projectile has to travel a distance, while a baseball bat is already on target. GURPS combat is resolved in one-second rounds. By default a ranged attack isn't just the act of pulling the trigger, you have to trace your target first, waving your hands and head (to see) much like a melee fighter would. That is the opening for a dodge roll. Just like you don't try to dodge a baseball bat when the batter's arms are already pointing at you – the bat is already on your face. Rather, you try and avoid the attack the moment a swing starts.

Also, those are combat rules. They apply in combat, which is very dynamic. I wouldn't use them in a stand-off. If you have a gun pointed at you, and do not move, you don't get a dodge when the trigger is pulled.