View Single Post
Old 09-17-2017, 10:27 AM   #17
Phantasm

Default Re: Spitballing a Space Opera Boxed Set

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
That was not my premise. It's TS and _Space Opera_ that are incompatible. TS and Cyberpunk are no farther apart than two sides of the same coin.

Space Opera means more than "SF game". Cyberpunk elements were included in the original Gurps Space but that _was_ a broad-based SF game resource.

"Space Opera" is a narrower term and putting everything you need to run a Space Opera campaign into a single box means having a somewhat restricted focus. Wandering off into TS-like "But what is Human" is a distraction.
Agreed. It'd be like putting Transmetropolitan under Space Opera; the two are quite distinct and very different. Transmet, Transhuman Space, and Shadowrun all have elements that can bounce between them, but Space Opera tends to be fairly safetech when it comes to transhumanist technologies. Cybernetic replacements, sapient robots, and the occasional full-body cyborg can show up in Space Opera without breaking the feel of the setting overmuch, but brain uploads to a computer or nanite swarm is essentially a no-no.

This is one reason why I vote to fund Mailanka in putting Psi-Wars as a boxed set. Also, the name. "Psi-Wars". It evokes Star Wars nicely, yet is distinct enough that people won't buy it thinking it's a Star Wars product. (I'm sure we wouldn't use the Star Wars font for the logo, either, which while fun would be misleading....)

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote