View Single Post
Old 03-21-2016, 08:22 AM   #3
Kalzazz

Default Re: 1980s American Cars, Guns, Gadgets and Consumer Goods [Atmosphere, look, minutiae

the distinction between 'on' and 'off' road vehicles was not as pronounced in this time period, it was not uncommon to see full size sedans and station wagons pulling horse trailers and running around out in fields.

1 and 2 - Range Rovers and Suburbans come to mind. I can't think of any real specifically awesome choices for 1 or 2 though. My dads employer at that time period had a fleet of very nicely appointed Suburbans used for everything from VIP loaner cars to hauling workers to bouncing around off road at job sites. Whenever my dad got issued one it was really fun to use the car phone that was provided

3. The Isuzu Trooper was very affordable and came in a 4x4 option. My parents bought a brand new one I believe in 88

4. Your most popular economy go anywhere option is a RWD regular cab pickup, with sand or salt bags in the bed over the rear axle for improved traction. Small front wheel drive cars like Honda Civics are also popular and some people think FWD is good for snow/ice.
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote