View Single Post
Old 07-16-2016, 09:05 PM   #72
phayman53

Default Re: GURPS Grand Unified Hit Location Table

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
My Table A was written before Loadouts LT but I've kept it because it doesn't conflict.
But it does conflict because you specifically have cheek guards listed as covering location 1 (the jaw), when in Loadouts: LT no cheek guards cover location 1, they only cover location "4-5".

Quote:
The goal of the document is not to "fix" books. I'm not fixing the lack of an individual jaw piece in Low Tech, and I'm not changing the fact that cheek guards cover the jaw, according to Low Tech. The minute that SJG decides to change that, I'll update the document to address that change. However at this point, I just can't justify putting house rules in now that I've got the last one out.
But if you keep to the "fluff" text in LT of the cheek guards covering the jaw too, you have the problem of violating the numerical part of the rules in LT. Cheek guards, by your interpretation, now cover on a 3/6 chance instead of LT and Loadouts: LT raw of only covering on a 2/6 chance. Generally, shouldn't the numerical aspects of the rules outweigh the descriptive aspects if there is a contradiction? Especially in a case like LT armor coverage where coverage chance is closely linked to cost and weight of the armor piece?

Quote:
I'm not debating you on whether there should be a jaw piece or not, or whether the cheek guards should actually cover the jaw or not. That's another thread. This document is for the RAW.
But it is not following RAW, at least as far as RAW coverage chance from cheek guards. It is only in Loadouts: LT that they do assign specific coverage locations to different pieces of armor. In the case of Loadouts: LT, SJ Games authors chose to harmonize the problem by having the jaw (1) location covered almost exclusively by neck armor that rises to the bottom of the face (like LT's Ventail and Bevor on pg. 113), with the exception of some of the Samurai face armors on Loadouts: LT pg. 33 and the Kranos on L:LT pg. 13. The cheek guards on all of the listed helmets specifically do not cover this location (including the Roman helmet that also appears in LT).
phayman53 is offline   Reply With Quote