View Single Post
Old 09-24-2014, 04:08 AM   #3
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Voice as a digital-only trait for Digital Minds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
I would treat this the same way as commonplace good looks, i.e. simply raise the standards required to get a +2 reaction, or make use of the Off-the-Shelf limitation.
That's an interesting note. Whether the limitation should apply or not will, of course, depend on whether a given specific voice is common enough to warrant it - a custom / limited-edition variant is likely to provide the non-shelf bonus. Also, off-the-shelf might apply to TL8 Synching, I guess, for having the same traits in all most modified voices (though admittedly I'm not good at identifying them).

However, I'm more interested in the idea of how much a trait should be limited specifically for the fact that it only applies when the avatar can be fed into the communication channel (whether the avatar is voice or appearance is irrelevant for this question). Oh, and just in case: the default assumption is that I'm talking about a custom/limited-edition, fully-integrated, available-without-a-roll but only through digital comm lines or virtual worlds thing.