View Single Post
Old 10-07-2018, 05:14 PM   #4
nukesnipe

Default Re: Triplanetary: Launching from a planet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
This is not an official answer.

The way I've chosen to interpret it, in light of the second edition rules which I also have, is thus. (Assuming strong gravity.)

On turn N you launch from planetary base (effectively, the planet hex) to a gravity hex - let's call it eastwards. Your velocity at this point was 1 hex eastwards, but you've just entered a gravity hex so it's now zero for your next turn.

On turn N+1 you can:
  • Do nothing; as a special case, I rule that staying in the same hex causes gravity to be applied again. You now have a velocity of 1 west. On your next turn, if you still do nothing, you will crash (or land where you started).
  • Thrust west. You crash.
  • Thrust north-west or south-west. You have now entered a new gravity hex, so your velocity of (e.g.) 1 north-west gets 1 south-west added to it to become 1 west. You are in orbit.
  • Thrust north-east, east, or south-east. You are now travelling freely in space.
Thanks for the response!

My college son has participated in several NASA events and informed me that while it was conceivably to lift off and enter the right trajectory to get to one's desired destination, it was much more prudent to enter a stable orbit before leaving the planet's gravity well.

So, unless overridden by SJG "officials", I'll play it to where you have to enter an orbit after launch, even if it's for only one turn. I believe that's how your explanation works, so I must be in good company. ;-)

Scott Chisholm
nukesnipe is offline   Reply With Quote