View Single Post
Old 07-11-2018, 03:50 AM   #8
Chris Rice

Default Re: Flora and Fauna table

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
How many creatures - not just monsters - would it take to justify a separate Bestiar project? I have not counted the number in TFT proper, but obviously, not enough, even if the one-line entries are expanded with more data. Fantastic creatures should probably get more word count than most mundane creatures, but there are actually a lot of things to say about some real-world beasts.

Other than tables and lists, what makes a good bestiary book? I note that GURPS 4e never got a bestiary.
A quick flick through ITL reveals about 120 creatures/types in less than 20 pages, so there's a surprising amount packed in there because the presentation is so compact and clear compared to something like D&Ds Monster Manual. Entries such as Giants and Mermen are single paragraph and could stand a fair bit of expansion along with Mnoren, Demons, Dragons etc.

I wouldn't want this section removed from the new book as it's very useful for GMs but I would like a "Bestiary", maybe just because the other systems had them and I was jealous!

If we do get one, I'd rather it kept TFTs unique style, which would probably mean a different approach than other bestiaries. Maybe we can all put our heads together and come up with a plan.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote