View Single Post
Old 03-22-2008, 12:48 AM   #58
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy 4: Sages is released!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
As for true photographic recall . . .

I've seen no research on anyone who could speed-read hundreds of pages of hundreds of books and comprehend and use the knowledge therein indefinitely. There are many well-documented cases of people memorizing vast writings -- like the entire Qur'an -- through painstaking study and repetition. There are many cases of savant syndrome that involve astounding instant memorization and recall without assimilation. But I've yet to hear of even one case where the subject could glance over a large text for a few hours and then systematically use its teachings for practical purposes for days, weeks, and even years afterward.

Thus, I don't think this is an especially useful phenomenon to simulate in games. I think that the system in place for scholars is good enough for dungeon crawls, though. ;)
I'm not saying that Photographic Memory could allow instant learning. I'm saying that it could allow information storage, so that the character doesn't have to carry around the books. Instead, he stores the pages in his head, but he hasn't actually "read" them yet, only "photocopied" them, and therefore he still has to spend the normal time, later on, if he wants to learn from the books, either permanently which costs CPs, or else temporarily to put skills from the books into Modular Abilities.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote