View Single Post
Old 01-11-2015, 09:18 AM   #24
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: [Basic] Tinkering with Afflictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
The thing I want to playtest is to to make the "special enhancements" for Affliction (such as Condition and Disadvantage) be setting up the base price of the advantage (including subsequent levels), and then apply all the other enhancements and limitations to THAT net value.
Yeah, that's along the lines I was thinking.

Quote:
That, and remove the special-pleading case of Affliction and Malediction - Malediction removes the to-hit roll, not the damage roll, on Innate Attacks; the equivalent of the damage roll on Affliction is the subjects Resistance roll (modified by the level of the Affliction) but Malediction gets to remove it anyways for the same price.
I'm not sure it's a proper comparison. Malediction-IAs ignore DR, yes. But they pit the Will against enemy Will/HT; Malediction-Afflictions ignore DR, and pit Will against enemy HT.

Quote:
Kromm mentioned at one point in the playtest for 4e that Affliction used a "roll 'damage' dice, subtract DR, compare to HP" sort of mechanic, like Symptoms on an IA with No Wounding. Or perhaps Side Effect, I don't know which. I'd like to see that version and try it out.
That looks like a nice, interesting solution. Though I feel that as HP (or other comparison-trait) and the dice of the Affliction become more numerous, things will get too predictable. Cumulative virtual damage might be an interesting enhancement too.