View Single Post
Old 02-10-2011, 07:25 AM   #92
Jerander

Default Re: GURPS Powers: Divine Favor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
Of course. I was just wondering if there was a simple way to do it, which you provided.

The other way one might wish to modify Divine Favor is to have it be for a god with a limited portfolio, e.g. a fire god, instead of for a monotheistic omnipotent god. And the in-between case, where the Divine Favor is with an entire pantheon of gods (or two entire panthons for a Norse priest), but where the character has an especially good (or bad!) relationship with one (or a few) members of the pantheon, so that he's - somehow - better off getting those kinds of miracles, than other kinds.

Any suggestions for how to do that? From RPK or from others...?

Some it can perhaps be done by simply Limiting the 5 CP/level bonus to the reaction roll, in the sidebar on page 5, but as usual I'm quite unhappy with Aspected -20%. I'm buying Divine Favor 8 with the entire Aeir and Vanir pantheons, and on top of that I pay 4 CP/lvl for a better reaction roll from Loki (i.e. when petitioning for anything that falls under one of his portfolios), when instead I could pay 5 CP/lvl for a reaction roll bonus regardless of which god I petition. Uh... guess which of those two options I'l be choosing every single time.

Likewise, how should divine animosity play in? Say Sif unhappy with me because I'm a fan of Loki, so petitions to Sif result in a reaction roll penalty. A reaction roll penalty for a very minor god could be abusive, but it is a valid question to ask (a serious answer might be -1 CP for a -3 penalty to Sif reaction rolls). And it could instead be a major god, like Thor (for the same reasons). So a plus to Loki costs... how much? And a penalty to Thor...?

And what if gods have overlapping portfolios? Is the character free to choose which god to petition, in such cases?

And how to modify Divine Favor if it is for a one limited portfolio god? Would -20% or so be reasonable for a typical multiple-portfolio god, as seen in historical Indo-European mythologies, and -40% for a god from D&D-land with one portfolio only?
One idea might be to adapt the "One College Only" limitation from Magery, for limited miracle portfolios, or limited number of gods from a pantheon.

From there, maybe apply "Hard To Use" or "Reliable" to those modifiers to limit/enhance the limitations to get the different penalities/bonuses to reaction rolls for each god.

Not sure it'd work, but it's something to look at.

EDIT: Thaumatology, I believe, has rules for a limited number of colleges as well.

Or there's the Accessibility limitation. Compare the % of prayers available through the limited portfolio (either through god(s) of pantheon worshipped or limited aspect of the god(s) worshipped) to the table in Powers.

Last edited by Jerander; 02-10-2011 at 07:52 AM.
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote