View Single Post
Old 09-20-2017, 07:07 PM   #83
lwcamp

Default Re: Spitballing a Space Opera Boxed Set

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrosome View Post
I'd need a 3D starmap, for starters. Hell, I'd buy a well-executed map of the stars within 50 or so light years of Earth on it's own. As it is, though, you need to use a computer and software to have any realism there (I've done it).
For my science fiction setting, I specifically avoided the area near Earth, because our knowledge of nearby stars is evolving so rapidly. So I put my worlds out on the edge of the galaxy, and cut them off from everyone else. I also only mapped the worlds out via connections, rather than geometry. I should be proof against new astronomy for quite some time (unfortunately, my setting may have issues with new research in paleontology, but that's to really relevant for the main thread).

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrosome View Post
I've had bits and pieces of a setting like this in my mind for years, but I'll probably never write it down.
I was like that, until I did start writing it down
http://panoptesv.com/RPGs/Settings/V...s/TheVerge.php
(it's still a long way from being done, though, especially when I get distracted by things like illustrating alien biospheres rather than describing the main planets or how characters fit in to the game mechanics.)

Luke
lwcamp is offline   Reply With Quote