View Single Post
Old 12-30-2017, 09:13 AM   #1353
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Gaming Ballistic - GURPS Content Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
I'm primarily interested in them from semi-automatics with shorter barrels, i.e. adventuring ready rifles and carbines, but I suppose stats for the 6.5 Creedmoor in a 24" barrel bolt-action precision rifle might be of interest to some people.
6.5 Creedmoor is one of my hunting/target-shooting coworker's favorite rounds out of his AR10.

Quote:
Googling will give you ballistic charts and experiments for the 6.5 Creedmoor in barrels from 16.5-27 inches. There is some counter-intuitive behavior with the longer barrels, losing velocity, and apparently the round hits a velocity and accuracy sweet spot at between 21-23 inches from the test barrels. I noticed that semi-automatics got 50-100 fps less with the same load and barrel lengths, which is probably gas bleed off.
The "optimum barrel" behavior is typical of most rounds. The .22LR hits it at less than 20", the 5.56x45mm is optimized for the 20" barrel of the full-length M16, etc. One of the reasons the 6.8SPC is nice is that its fatter chamber is more friendly for shorter barrels, which makes it nice for rifles in the 12-16" range.

Quote:
The bullets of primary interest to me are the extremely long ones, VLD and ELD, but not so long they won't feed from magazines. That's about 90 grains for the .224 Valkyrie and 130-143 for the 6.5 Creedmoor. Hunting bullets that might work on MH-style monsters and two-legged Action antagonists also have obvious appeal to the average GURPS player.
If you can find me the actual length of the bullets you want, I'd take it as a kindness.
DouglasCole is online now   Reply With Quote