View Single Post
Old 08-27-2017, 03:40 PM   #49
Refplace

Default Re: The Dungeon Fantasy box set is great! But now I hunger for more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post

What the book should have, IMO, is some discussion of the various setting elements that commonly go into these genres, and how to use them. Is there an Evil Empire? If so, are the PCs rebels living under its shadow? Or do they live in a still-free society that opposes the Empire? And so on. Make sure to include solid game mechanical details in this kind of discussion ("the Empire is CR 5, which means the following penalties apply to the following skills").

Once you have that kind of detail, I think it's reasonably easy for a GM to assemble the pieces, as it were, to build their own setting, customized to the type of game they want to run.
I think that works for a Space Opera Genre book but goes against the goal of keeping a boxed set simple and play out of the box. You may be right about being able to skip many setting elements and just have some races and tech but that still colors the setting.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote