View Single Post
Old 06-03-2017, 12:47 PM   #1
Grayscale

Default Combining GURPS and Hackmaster combat system?

Hi,

I've have recently started reading up o GURPS and so far I quite like it! I've have been, however, interested in Hackmaster 5th combat system - if you don't know it, I'll try to briefly explain it:

Hackmaster uses a so called "count up system", where the GM calls up up each second and everyone acts every second (no need to assign an initiave order). Two things are different from the seconds system from GURPS:

1. You may attack only based on your weapon speed, which is given in seconds: so, for example, I if my weapon speed is 6, and I take a swing on second 2, I can take another swing at second 8.
2. Movement speeds take acceleration (so to speak) into account: so, if my running speed is 9 yards per second, I can start moving only at a jog (half speed, in the first second I move) an then proceed to gradually increase the ground covered every second.

I think it's possible to adapt this system to GURPS (movement can be based on based speed and melee weapon speed could be based in ST requirements, maybe half ST?).
I have yet to read up on magic though, and I suspect the whole system may fall apart when it comes to firearms.

What do you guys think? Will it mess up with advantages, skills and such? What about firearms?

This post is a bit of a mess, I can try to explain Hackmaster's combat system better (as much as I understand it) and link to a pdf with a combat example, if someone wants it. There's also the Basic version of the rules, which can be found free online.
Grayscale is offline   Reply With Quote