View Single Post
Old 02-14-2014, 09:18 PM   #35
Johnny1A.2

Default Re: A character type for a Star Trek game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Yes I like this idea. Involving Solo, Kuryakin, Dancer, Steed, King, and Peal, with Seven and Lincoln, to stop a neferious plot, would be cool. However, remember this is a Eugenics project we're talking about. It would take generations to do eugenic breeding. A realistic Eugenic breeding program would take centuries. Even with TV Sci Fi we'd need to assume the project started sometime in the Victorian period. Given the wide range of ethnic types shown in Khan's gang in the 60's show, one assumes the project would need to have been started either by a British or French organisation. The founders could be from a wide variety of political and cultural backgrounds, but clearly rich and well conected.
Good point. I always took 'eugenic' in this sense to be a loose word, for a genetic engineering project, but of course serious genetic engineering in the time frame is just as hard. The multi-generational project you describe is probably a better source of plot, anyway.

You could still use the 60s characters, THRUSH could turn out to be a cover for the project, or its outer layer, for ex. At least one fan theory always held that THRUSH was founded by Professor Moriarty, and I once saw a very good Man from U.N.C.L.E. fanfic in which a surviving German officer informs Allied intelligence people after WW II that THRUSH had been causing trouble for both sides during World War II.

Were Mengele's experiments related to the project in some way? Or the whole 'eugenic fad' that swept the West in the 1920s and 1930s?

For that matter, if the project goes back to the 19C, you could use Victorian or Old West settings as well. Maybe Brisco County Jr. once caused trouble for the breeding project?

Here's another thought: suppose the organization that bred the supermen survived the 1990s, in the shadows, and is still around in Kirk's time. If so, what is their view of Aiden? Is he a resource to be used? A loose end to be controlled or eliminated? Do they even realize what he is (at first)?

Last edited by Johnny1A.2; 02-14-2014 at 09:27 PM.
Johnny1A.2 is offline   Reply With Quote