View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 08:51 AM   #18
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: What's with the modesty about stats?

I think much of the issue with stat normalization is that core set describes 50 points as being a reasonably competent, and anything over that as "Exceptional". a score of 14 is described as being extremely exceptional. And with 50 points describing the majority of humanity, it probably is.

Enter the worked examples, supplements, and particularly the templates. The basic set gives 6 worked examples, all over 200 points. Space presents the solider template worth 70 points stating it can be used to represent a "trainee or a green trooper from an underfunded army", which implies a basic boot camp can give you 70 points of advantages. Fantasy's templates are all 75 points or higher. IW templates are around 100 points or higher. And it gives the impression that these are "normal" people.

So GM's give out 150+ points. and with 150 points, 14 is high, but its not terribly special. PC's frequently have such numbers.

In addition, the most blatant violator of this is IQ, which is extremely versatile and examples of it being high across the board are extremely rare in real life. IQ! costs only 10 points.

And then people who pay attention to what was actually written say "wait... thats not what it said!"

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote