View Single Post
Old 01-05-2022, 07:40 AM   #4
Varyon

Default Re: Flaws in D&D classes, and what you think is a good patch.

I'm only familiar with 3.x and a bit of Pathfinder, but the code of a Paladin needs toned down. I don't really feel the Paladin has enough advantages over the other classes to justify such a strict code (they're basically a Fighter that has traded their giant pile of bonus feats in for some special abilities, and honestly without the code it seems a roughly fair trade). More importantly, however, the code needs to be revamped to limit the Paladin, not the party.

Honestly, just modifying the Paladin to be a sort of "Divine Warrior" (like Dungeon Fantasy's Holy/Unholy Warrior), a more combat-focused variant of the Cleric (much as the Ranger is, in some ways, a more combat-focused variant of the Druid), would be a welcome change. If you want to be a champion of Law and Good, just choose an appropriate patron deity (or worship the concept, which I believe is an option for Clerics) - but a True Neutral Divine Warrior, a Chaotic Good one, a True Evil one, etc should all be legitimate options (although that last one obviously won't be available in all campaigns). If you still want the various oaths, take those separately, like Vow of Poverty and the like.