View Single Post
Old 02-26-2009, 10:30 PM   #5
transmetahuman

Default Re: Affliction with Advantages...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgellis
A somewhat more flexible build would be to buy the power as an attack and also buy an alternate version (at 1/5th cost, since it would be an Alternate Ability) that is a Beneficial affliction (see Powers, p. 40, for details). If you do this, you have a choice of Warping an enemy somewhere else against his will OR Warping a friend somewhere else (and they can waive resistance, making it pretty much automatic) if they needed to go there.

In either case, however, the person with the ability would control where the subjected was Warped off to.

I hope this helps.

Mark
Not to confuse the issue even more, but I've got one point to add to that. Powers p. 119 (under Wishes) seems to imply a third variant of Affliction (Advantage) besides regular and beneficial, which are both controlled by the character with the Affliction (except that they are automatically fully On for the duration, or instantaneous for Warp or Jumper). This variant of a beneficial Affliction would simply grant the advantage to the subject for the duration - the subject would have full control just as if he'd paid for the advantage himself.

I know it doesn't fit the strict reading of the text in Basic under Affliction favored by many forumites, but the Powers text overrides that: "...can grant any advantage..." should certainly include, for instance, Warp (Anchored, home temple) initiated by the recipient.

In my opinion this fills an important gap that a too-strict reading of the Basic stuff doesn't allow you to build.
transmetahuman is offline   Reply With Quote