View Single Post
Old 01-26-2019, 12:16 AM   #44
larsdangly

Default Re: Any kickstart on TFT horizon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
I've played out TFT battles with hundreds of figures before, each one having their own stats and equipment. I don't necessarily recommend it be done often, and it won't work for even larger battles unless someone makes a computer game for it, but it can be done.

We used adapted wargame rules to resolve large battles in our TFT campaigns. I used an adaptation of Avalon Hill's Alesia game, and another GM used adaptations of Metagaming wargames. I used Metagaming's Rampseed and Avalon HIll's Wooden Ships & Iron Men for naval combats.

I'd be very interested in a well-done hex-based tactical combat system for TFT and/or GURPS. Abstract mapless mass combat systems tend to disappoint me, and tend to seem like too much abstraction, not enough interestingness, and too much work for what you get. As a detail-oriented wargamer, student of medieval military history, TFT/GURPS tactical combat player, and expert in applying "GM discretion", if I just want a fudgey abstract resolution, I can fudge my own mapless descriptions and outcomes without needing a system if that's what I want.
I don't understand; so are you saying you resolved battles with hundreds of combatants using TFT rules, or that you resolved such battles using other rules, and the situation happens to have been related to your TFT campaign? It is really hard to imagine someone playing out a a fight among several hundred combatants using real TFT rules. For starters, how would you manage all the book keeping?