View Single Post
Old 06-19-2019, 05:15 AM   #32
Tywyll

Default Re: The (Unintentional?) MMO End Game of TFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
TFT isn't really well suited to long term play with "levelling up" or mechanical character advancement. That's because advancement is via attribute increase and since there are only three attributes there's not many places to level up. Powerful characters have high scores in all three attributes and so get a bit samey.
I don't know. In my Warriors of Darok and forests of Dihad there are plenty of high level characters that feel very different (granted, that was partially because IQ left them with limited room to invest their points). But yeah, having only three stats and making it so that they govern everything is a problem.

Quote:
Legacy Edition has tried to address this by putting a cap on attribute increase and allowing increased Talents beyond the IQ limit. I'm not really a fan of that because it seems to break the simplicity of the basic game, but it's certainly one solution.
I don't mind it so much as I feel the talent system as written was a giant fail. Learning to teleport took one slot but learning Math took 2? But I use a different xp system so there is that.

Another option might have been to make it so 15 and 16 are always fails. So even someone with a 30 IQ still has a 10% chance of failure (though admittedly that seems high) and all that extra IQ is just for negating penalties or rollging vs 4/IQ and 5/IQ. I don't know...using those high difficulty rules more would have made a difference.

Quote:
I'm unlikely to be able to play a long running campaign game again like I did in the past so it probably won't be an issue for me. But if I did, I'd rather have more attributes so there are more places to put the XP points. That's what I did in my long running games of the past.
That's certainly a solution. I'm not sure how I feel about it as it really breaks the simplicity of the system, but as far as house rules go, it goes back a long way!
Tywyll is offline   Reply With Quote