View Single Post
Old 08-21-2019, 03:23 PM   #233
Plane

Default Re: A Challenger Appears! Green versus Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
If the kick connects and does damage you're going to loose AP equal to the damage. If we want to count that as deceleration AP I think that's fine.
Even if a HT roll MoS mitigates that?

Quote:
Evade and slam don't cost AP because they're movement though: they cost AP because they're attacks. slam more obviously so, but evade involves a lot more complex movement than simply going through their square.
My charging AP for evade is due to it being a 'technique', mechanically I think it functions like a 'free action', much like with Roll With Blow, which also is not an 'attack' but which I justify charging AP due to it being a 'technique', which apparently always has a cost unless stated otherwise.

Quote:
I'd say that resisting an Evade can result in contact. It often does, and I'd say that if the evader wants contact then a successful resistance will involve it every time. I'm not sure about the other cases.
I agree that perhaps a successful "obstruct" should count like a successful attack roll against the guy who attempted to evade.

To deal with the situation of "I want to avoid touching the guy I'm trying to run past", I think in that situation, if the evader does not want some kind of contact, then perhaps he should be able to roll a dodge against it, to pull back?

I have that kind of concern with parries too. You might be in a situation of "I want to punch this guy in the face, but if he puts his electrified-metal arm in the way of his face, I want to pull my punch back and avoid hitting that arm!"

Basically recognizing that the one you're trying to outmaneuver has guarded a specific zone and to stop the attack.

The best idea I have for that would be to treat it like a no-contact parry, but at -2 to skill (-1 to parry) for "doing two things at once" since you're attacking and then NCPing with the very same limb. A dodge could probably substitute as well.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote