Thread: GURPS M:tA
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2014, 06:39 PM   #33
lugaid

Default Re: GURPS M:tA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataweaver View Post
On the contrary: “Magic” in MtA is very much about “magic” as used by Merlin. It’s also about the stars of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, faith healers, tantric muses, shamans, the witches in MacBeth*, chaos magicians, mad scientists, druids, hackers, cyborgs, men in black, genetic engineers, financial wizards, space marines, and a bunch of others. And it’s about exerting your will on the world around you like a minor deity, once you reach the later stages of the game; but we need little in the way of help in implementing that last one.

As Mr_Sandman said, the key issue here isn’t about how to replicate the capabilities of the MtA magic system; that’s nicely handled by Realm Magic. It’s about how to make the paradigms more meaningful. Tossing them out entirely is exactly the opposite of what we’re trying to do here.
Yes! That is much more what I was thinking. Thank you for presenting it in a much more clear fashion than I did. I'd only add that, for myself anyway, I wasn't necessarily looking for specific mechanics (I can do that on my own), but rather for an understanding of the more difficult elements in the MtA "bestiary" (as it were). That people are, of course (and rightly), going to be interested in working up the mechanical approach too is something that I really should have foreseen and taken into consideration when formulating the initial post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataweaver View Post
* Note to lugaid: that’s a place to go for Euthanatos inspiration. The concept of the witch is actually split between the Verbena (who emphasize the fertility treatments and home remedies side of things) and the Euthanaoi (who deal in determining peoples’ Fates and placing curses or geases on them).
Very nice. That does give me a different way to look at this, which might be quite fruitful.
lugaid is offline   Reply With Quote