View Single Post
Old 09-21-2019, 04:55 AM   #96
maximara
On Notice

Default Re: Maximum Attributes for Real World People

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Lifting and Extra Effort modify BL, not ST (Basic, p. 205 & p. 353).
True, B356 says "You can use extra effort to increase Basic Lift (but not ST itself) when digging or lifting..."

But the text on B357 regarding how to apply that extra effort states:

"Modifiers: -1 per 5% increase in capabilities (e.g., to add 10% to ST, roll at -2)."

So extra effort improves BL but the penalties are calculated on ST not BL. Which turns things into the somewhat ugly (ST*(1+x*.05)*ST*(1+x*.05)/5 which turns into ((ST*ST)*(1+x*0.05)^2)/5 which "simplifies" into (ST^2*(1+0.1x+.0025x^2))/5

So my "That is ignoring the extra effort which is a will roll and gives +5% to ST itself for each -1 to the Will roll so the (ST*ST)/5 formula becomes (ST*1.05*ST*1.05)/5 or (ST*ST)*1.1025/5 which gets the ST 20 down to 18 and a -2 to will gets 16.5 and -3 get us down to ST 15.1." is completely correct per B357.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
No, as I mentioned in my previous post, Carry On Back is not a Lift. Therefore Lifting skill does no apply to it. Of course he has still trained, but that is reflected by his ST (Lifting ST specifically).
Uh, Lifting ST is an exotic advantage which per B32 "Exotic advantages are traits that ordinary humans cannot have without ultra-tech body modification or similar tampering" so I would avoid using that to model a real person.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.

Last edited by maximara; 09-21-2019 at 05:17 AM.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote