View Single Post
Old 06-19-2019, 04:15 AM   #24
Tywyll

Default Re: The (Unintentional?) MMO End Game of TFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
These (potential) problems also exist in other systems which include mechanical character advancement. However, only a small percentage of GMs and Players will explore or exploit these limits so it is often just a theoretical problem.

In my many years of play, most characters were in the 32-42 point range and the game seemed to play best at about 36-38 points, where characters were a bit tougher than starting out but not too much that normal foes weren't any danger. I also wasn't a fan of (multiple) permanent magic items, preferring one-shot boosts like scrolls and potions.

Even original D&D, which was renowned for high level gaming, actually played best at levels 5-7 (in my opinion) and characters were expected to retire at level 9.

I don't think TFT was ever really designed for high level play. If you look at the way the Attributes work; at ST14 you can use a heavy (3 dice) weapon, at DX14 you have a 90% success chance, and at IQ14 you can know the most difficult Talents. Sure, you can have attributes above that level, but the benefits become less, so I'd suggest 42 points is a reasonable cap.

That's if you want a cap. If you don't, just use the old system, or your own system.
No argument that the system wasn't designed for high level play! However, it was built in with IQ 20 spells, so those are a thing as are the item creations rules, meaning it is going to be used by some players at least.

And this isn't really about whether I want the cap or not. This is about the impact the RAW rules have on the game and the game world. This is something that players will perform (if they desire longevity in their characters) and that NPCs have arguably already done. Perhaps this explains the ridiculously high stats of Tollenkar, for example, something that has caused more than one poster to scratch their heads in confusion.
Tywyll is offline   Reply With Quote