View Single Post
Old 08-04-2020, 01:23 AM   #27
Say, it isn't that bad!

Default Re: In which I post about a TL9 solar system

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Cosmic radiation ignores Hardened, it is, by definition, Cosmic. More seriously, armor does not protect against radiation accept as extra mass, so Hardened is worthless against radiation, as cosmic radiation only divides PF by 100, rather than DR by 100.
Good to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
With the fusion pulse engine, the problems are engine expense, fuel expense, and in-situ resource utilization. Advanced pulse engines cost twice as much as fusion rockets, which means that a single one would be 2/3 the cost of the vehicle. Hydrogen costs 4% the cost of nuclear pellets but produces 60% of the delta-v, so the fuel is 15× as expensive per mps. Finally, any refinery can turn ice into hydrogen, meaning that the spaceship could potentially refuel on its own or that colonies can resupply them easily, while nuclear pellets require a massive industrial complex to produce.
...I completely missed this when reading about fuel-tanks: "and the cost of each fuel tank system without fuel".

...Yeah, there is a difference between $75 million to fill a 1.5kt fuel tank, and $3 million. I can see a government paying the former for their warships; but for a private enterprise, the latter fee is much more palatable.
Say, it isn't that bad! is offline   Reply With Quote