View Single Post
Old 05-12-2011, 02:12 AM   #5
Maz

Default Re: Game within a Game

Its not that uncommon an idea and I don't think "don't do it" is a very good advice.

However, I think you should ask yourself how much play there is going to be outside The Game. If it is limited to social interaction, then I wouldn't bother statting up the real Persons skills and stats.
If there is going to be actual action-play in the real world, or maybe the character gets transferred into the game or some such in the future, then of course you need the actual stats on both.

Assuming you want stats on both the real character and the ingame one, I would do the following:

Create the player. The Real Person.
Using the normal guidelines. I would probably make them rather low points. Maybe 50 pts. remember to give them normal skills, such as job or study-skills.

Then I would not create a complete new character, to be the ingame PC. Instead I would give say 200 pts for creating their ingame abilitites. but with several special rules.

I would say the ingame char had it's own physical traits. ST, HP, DX and HT. These can be bought up as normal, as well as all skills based on them, and all physical advantages and disadvantages.
However I would say that mental abilities would be limited by the actual real character. So social skills and kowledge skills would all be limited to what the real character knows. This also goes for stuff like Will and Perception.
to represent stuff such as magic, you should get Magery, not IQ. for a fearless barbarian, you buy Fearlessness not Will. For resistance to mental magic in game, you buy Resistance, not Will.
some IQ-based skills might be appropriate to be good at ingame. But not in the real world. Stuff like First Aid or Hacking (if it was a sci-fi game).
But again, I would not allow people to increase their IQ for the ingame char, but instead let them buy Talents.

I would also allow a hefty Accessibility limitation on everything that only works "ingame". Depending on how much of the game would be played "ingame"
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote