View Single Post
Old 12-14-2014, 12:36 PM   #106
Tomsdad

Default Re: Unarmed vs. Knife

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
True, the assumption is that after all the tricks, the grapple is successful.
But the problem the target is frozen in place before that happens. That successful grapple is not a justification for why previously the target could not turn while all this happened

Quote:
I'm divided here. On one hand, free lunches are bad. On the other, stacking Feint with the technique level of specific attacks seems too fiddly. Maybe just allow Feints to work at -1 per hex beyond reach, up to +Move hexes away (past which striking in one turn is not plausible)? Anyway, this is totally into houserule territory.
I don't know is it a house rule, Pg365 just says role against melee skill and that you have to have been able to hit the target. That pretty clearly implies to me that you'd have to use the melee skill you could have hit your target with. This is rarely ever going to be just one skill, but some circumstances will limit you choices (unarmed at reach 1 for instance) just as they do when actually attacking.

either way this one doesn't strike me as any more fiddly than having the option to attack with more than one skill/tech.

However there is no way I'd ever let people feint up to half move, life would just be one long successions of feints 5 yards apart with no danger of being attacked until someone gets a really good roll, and them bam AoA.

Quote:
OK. I didn't see too many Feints back when mêlée combat was common. Experiences differ, and I don't claim mine is righter.
Absolutely fair, and neither is mine.

Quote:
Mostly the analogy - both are preparative actions; also, Feint doesn't necessarily represent lowercase feints (fake attacks) - 'Feints aren’t always phony attacks. They include breaks in rhythm, false steps, head fakes, and other ploys to misdirect the foe.'.

Again, this gets pretty far into redesign of rules anyway.
Ah OK, I see what your saying about preparative action, but I'd argue there's big difference in effective range between looking at someone and pretending to attack them (or fake them out etc)

Quote:
Tradeoffs, tradeoffs, conditions.
Only I'd argue they are not equal trade-offs here

Last edited by Tomsdad; 12-14-2014 at 12:49 PM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote