View Single Post
Old 04-13-2013, 02:58 PM   #10
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: GURPS Sex revision

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifiste View Post
Just popped in to say that having this title and title named "penetration modifiers" on the same page made me giggle.
That is all.
Since you mentioned it, and Peter Knutsen posted a LoL thread, I'll share this funny bit:
Since characters doing both magical and physical damage needed to deal with both physical damage resistance and magic resistance, the gamedevs added new runes that helped get through both. Guess how the runes were informally referred to?

--------------------------

Back on topic, found and skimmed the original fanbook. Eugh, the crunch is even more unwieldy than I remembered. So, I'd want to look at the basic premise of the mechanics:

An encounter is separated into several named, semi-abstract phases (we can make them more concrete later - let's look at the basic system, not tactical). There's a typical progression between them, but some variation is totally appropriate. E.g. the possible outcomes of a round are typically:
  • Botch of some sort.
  • Meh - advancing the phase is impossible or strongly not advised.
  • All good - advancement at the participants' discretion.
  • Things getting wild - some sort of semi-obligatory or obligatory phase advancement.
Not that these do not necessarily map onto pure crit/fail/success/crit spectrum, nor are single-phase advancements the only possible ones.

One issue that might be worth considering is that since there are two DX/Erotic Art/whatever rolls, the outcomes between two partners may vary significantly. This should be of some narrative use.

This approach seems to answer the typically interesting questions (how did it start out? suddenly what?! etc.), while also provides narrative freedom (which can then be trimmed down to a more tactical scale as appropriate).

Thoughts?

Last edited by vicky_molokh; 04-13-2013 at 03:02 PM.
vicky_molokh is offline   Reply With Quote