View Single Post
Old 04-12-2013, 11:50 AM   #6
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: GURPS Sex revision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiko View Post
The thing is the above applies to many areas, not just carnal performance. People have their own measures and reactions. Social interaction in any form. But when you reduce the world to game mechanics. You can't really cover that. i've heard these same arguments used against having rolls for social interaction at all in fact.
I've heard the same arguments against GURPS level of combat precision, and not only on this forum either.

Hmmm. Probably the one of the ways to avoid strong clashes of expectations is to allow players to customise their own characters to some extent. How such customisation is implemented will depend greatly upon the exact mechanics used for the act. In a way, a reconstruction of the system will be a sort a feedback loop between 'stats' and 'mechanics'. Which is probably not too unlike the construction of any other P&P system from scratch.

Now, to remain RAW-compliant, most or all customisation-traits need to be Features, because players already have the option of giving all their partners a permanent +4 to Erotic Art for 0 points (though it comes with a -4 to resist Interrogation* and Fast-Talk during the act). Keeping them 0-pt also allows players to put off such customisation until later, avoids a potential point discrepancy between PCs of players who are more/less into it etc.

* == Speaking of which, I need to re-read Social Engineering and figure out under what circumstances such a combination is even legit. AFAIK Interrogation assumes a distressful situation, not a eustressful one.