View Single Post
Old 06-14-2018, 12:13 PM   #48
Skarg

Default Re: Examining "Once Per Day" in TFT: Solution or Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kane View Post
That's correct Skarg, and even *if* certain spells were astrologically-based, seasonally-based, or whatever-based, we would *still* need a time-keeping-system to inform us of when the planets align, or the moon rises, or whatever, and be able to relate that information back to our 5 Second Combat time-scale when in combat to *easily and accurately* inform which specific turn the thing is able to be activated or when it de-activates.

As our Jacksonian magic system is: ad hoc, per usum based, we have no need for such timing-systems.

So, again, as stated in the OP: "if we are going to seriously consider adopting the Vancian concept of "Once Per Day" as a rule deliniator, I feel we are obligated to also provide a matching rule for how that passage of time is accurately measured - without much "fudge".
I feel like I still don't really get some aspect of what you're concerned about.

If there's something that can't be done for 24 hours after it was done, it shouldn't say "once per day" but some wording that makes it clear there's a 24 hour delay.

I'd love to see more content about how it's sometimes/often interesting to track what's going on in a campaign in time and space as days pass at different levels of detail. I'd like to see more examples and systems to help players/GMs who haven't done much of that before have better examples of how and why that's fun and interesting and possible. But the main reason it because I think it can make for a really fun/interesting/immersive play experience, and not because I think it's vital to have an effect that lasts exactly 24 hours down to the second. In fact that seems a bit silly (I might add a random factor even in a case where the exact time did matter), but I do see it being important in principle that there be a clear rule that could be resolved fairly/objectively.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote