View Single Post
Old 03-27-2021, 02:10 PM   #37
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Wizards without Staves

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Oh, I think you should keep it. Part of the eccentric character!

There is one small editorial change I'd like to suggest. In the Wizard's book, the staff is listed as both a weapon and magic item, clearly distinguishing the club damage from arcane blast. That's great. In the Bandits and Outlaws book, the damage from staffs is usually omitted, whether mundane or arcane (the exception being the quarterstaff staff, which lists quarterstaff damage, but not occult blast). In the Rookies book, no damage from staves as clubs is listed. Instead, the staff is listed under weapons with damage 1d.

It would be nice if the three books were consistent. The Wizards book, not surprisingly, has the best solution for how to list staves.
I will see what I can do here without breaking layout. It's a good suggestion.

Quote:
Really good stuff. The backstories really point out what a slacker I am. My backstories are limited to "Good guy", "Bad guy" and, when I'm feeling complicated, sometimes "Good guy but sometimes bad".
I will note that it doesn't take much. I have a system I use for ideas where I generate a few adjectives, a background (taken from some old D&D work I did) to say what they did before they were [whatever they are now], and two bits of "what do they want" and "what are they willing to do to get it?"

Obviously for a published book, I had to do some prose-writing. But for GM notes, just the adjectives (ITL p. 14!), and a few notes on what they want and what they'll do to get it are more than enough. (note: that can include 'murder-bot' as well as 'wait petulantly for the world to align to their desires')
DouglasCole is online now   Reply With Quote