View Single Post
Old 03-25-2020, 02:41 AM   #18
Steve Plambeck

Default Re: Resolving problem with pentagrams and wish contest of wills

I'm definitely enamored with the idea of summoning specific demons by adding the demon's true name to the incantation as the spell is cast. With their true names normally being closely guarded secrets that only rarely become revealed. When a demon introduces itself, it only gives a nick-name, preferably a humorous one.

Good thing I read this forum because in looking at the new ITL I somehow overlooked the changes in demons and wishes! Lesser Demons granting Wishes (even these new Lesser Wishes) is kind of a big change. I'd drafted an adventure that would introduce a pair (yes, a pair) of twin Lesser Demons that would be funny, constantly bickering with each other, and have recurring roles in future adventures, having "befriended" the players party and given them their true names. That now might be a very, very dangerous idea! I had no intention to be handing out a Wish any time they got called in!

Once again I'll either have to abandon a good idea or (drum roll please) revert to the original rules! Seems like this has been going on a long time -- since 1980 in fact! LOL!

Meanwhile, I don't like the new demon stats either and want to keep the old, much higher IQs. I've always thought of them as genius-level magical creatures that know all the secrets to Life, the Universe, and Everything. They just never share that knowledge with mortals, except by obtuse references that only imply how the universe might work. IQ 9? Oh, I don't think so.

A different way to handle the contest of wills (which needs to be fixed no matter how you look at it) would be to have the wizard and the demon each roll against their respective IQs, and whomever made their roll by the larger margin wins. (If both failed the rolls, which is really unlikely, just do it over -- the mental battle takes a second turn.) Lots of other ways to do it however the GM prefers.