View Single Post
Old 01-25-2019, 09:53 AM   #42
Skarg

Default Re: Any kickstart on TFT horizon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
From my little experience of other systems' mass combat versions (I rarely see them in action because most of the campaigns I've played in were at the micro level, not the macro), it seems like they generally use that abstract resolution mechanic way of solving the problem.

But given TFT's roots in a tactical combat game, it seems to me that it would be a perfect vehicle for a really clever and fun "mass combat" game (call it "grand tactical" if you like) as a stand-alone item that might even sell well on its own in the wargaming community!
I've played out TFT battles with hundreds of figures before, each one having their own stats and equipment. I don't necessarily recommend it be done often, and it won't work for even larger battles unless someone makes a computer game for it, but it can be done.

We used adapted wargame rules to resolve large battles in our TFT campaigns. I used an adaptation of Avalon Hill's Alesia game, and another GM used adaptations of Metagaming wargames. I used Metagaming's Rampseed and Avalon HIll's Wooden Ships & Iron Men for naval combats.

I'd be very interested in a well-done hex-based tactical combat system for TFT and/or GURPS. Abstract mapless mass combat systems tend to disappoint me, and tend to seem like too much abstraction, not enough interestingness, and too much work for what you get. As a detail-oriented wargamer, student of medieval military history, TFT/GURPS tactical combat player, and expert in applying "GM discretion", if I just want a fudgey abstract resolution, I can fudge my own mapless descriptions and outcomes without needing a system if that's what I want.