View Single Post
Old 03-11-2007, 01:57 PM   #4
FatherMackenzie

Default Re: Mind Flayer Racial Template

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdvana
I would limit its range and apply a cone to it, yes.
Yes, but HOW would you limit its range?

Quote:
No thunderclap or flashes of light, but a psionic signature that can be sensed by those with the capacity, potentially even a lingering one. At least that is the assumption from past GURPS editions and how I would play it. Low or No Signature would reduce or eliminate this.
All right. You could even argue that the Mind Blast has high signature for that purpose (it has a slight visible effect in addition to a psionic residue).

Quote:
Yes, -12 is a bit much. First, I'd not have them be Monstrous personally (they aren't as hideous as a Nosferatu from WoD for example...) heck, I'd almost say they are attractive in an alien and disturbing way. I'd have most of their negative reaction come from the other traits.
I see your point. I'll get rid of Monstrous. (Also see my response to your Terror suggestion.) Maybe I'll get rid of Social Stigma (Monster) as well. Also, the Reputation would be worth fewer points--it shouldn't apply to other evil races without racial grudges towards illithids.

Quote:
Personally I'd make it Resitant to Influence and limit it to Doesn't Protect from other Mind Flayers (unsure the value to give this this moment, maybe -20%? That's what I'll work with), +3 to IQ/Will rolls (x1/3) and call Influence common. This would make it a 4 point trait. I would leave them influencd by Empathy as it is the default for sentient beings who aren't spirits (or plants).
It would protect from other mind flayers, though. Mind flayers only listen to the Elder Brain, which would have Empathy. Other than forming small hunting groups and hunting for thralls (which the elder brain would probably organize anyway), illithids mostly pursue their own agendas. I'll have them influenced by Empathy and leave the Indomitable/Resistant to Influence question open (I agree that it would be Common, though, since the cost for immunity is 15 points).

Quote:
That's up to you. I'd not add it for my game, but I'm working on a SciFi game. If I were directly translating from D&D I'd not, as there is no mechanic. However, it is not un-thematic for a cthulhu-ish species to have that.
Good point. I'll take it out. I would say that it depends on the setting, but you wouldn't use a mind flayer in a horror game--you'd use a more traditional Spawn of C'thulhu (which the mind flayer was based on anyway). I'm actually running a space opera/fantasy game right now. If you've seen enough aliens, tentacles are normal.

Quote:
In a traditional fantasy game with magic I would include Magic Resistance. Mind Shield is better than Psi Resistance IMO however.
I'll put it down as Magic Resistance 10 and offer Mind Shield as an alternative.

Thanks for all your input, by the way.