View Single Post
Old 03-11-2007, 08:10 AM   #2
nerdvana

Default Re: Mind Flayer Racial Template

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherMackenzie
QUESTIONS:
OK, I got the Mind Blast straight from the Basic Set. Still, the mind flayer's traditional mind blast is a cone. Should I add this to the effect? (This might be difficult, since Malediction eliminates the Range of the attack entirely.)
I would limit its range and apply a cone to it, yes.

Quote:
Also, is anything with the Telepathy modifier assumed the have Low or No Signature? Mind reading isn't exactly accompanied by a thunderclap and flash of light, is it?
No thunderclap or flashes of light, but a psionic signature that can be sensed by those with the capacity, potentially even a lingering one. At least that is the assumption from past GURPS editions and how I would play it. Low or No Signature would reduce or eliminate this.

Quote:
Am I overdoing it with the reaction penalties? Mind flayers have -12 to reaction penalties from their appearance, Reputation, and Social Stigma (Monster). Maybe I should get rid of one (or both) of the latter two? Illithids have (in addition to those) Sadism, Megalomania and No Sense of Humor, which can add up to -7 MORE to the reaction penalties, so mind flayers still have to really make an effort to interact with the rest of civilization.
Yes, -12 is a bit much. First, I'd not have them be Monstrous personally (they aren't as hideous as a Nosferatu from WoD for example...) heck, I'd almost say they are attractive in an alien and disturbing way. I'd have most of their negative reaction come from the other traits.

Quote:
And about Indomitable--Mind flayers aren't exactly humanoids, and they're certainly not spirits, plants, or animals. Should normal Empathy apply to them? (Mind flayer psychology is VERY alien to normal humans, so probably not.) Or should there be a new "Monster Empathy" ability? If so, how many points would it be worth? Alternatively, I could just make Indomitable Cosmic...
Personally I'd make it Resitant to Influence and limit it to Doesn't Protect from other Mind Flayers (unsure the value to give this this moment, maybe -20%? That's what I'll work with), +3 to IQ/Will rolls (x1/3) and call Influence common. This would make it a 4 point trait. I would leave them influencd by Empathy as it is the default for sentient beings who aren't spirits (or plants).

Quote:
Is Terror really appropriate? I mean, illithids are creepy-looking, even alien, but they're still just monsters. Most adventurers have probably seen it all before.
That's up to you. I'd not add it for my game, but I'm working on a SciFi game. If I were directly translating from D&D I'd not, as there is no mechanic. However, it is not un-thematic for a cthulhu-ish species to have that.

Quote:
One more thing--should mind flayers have magic and/or psionics resistance instead of or in addition to Mind Shield? Mind flayers traditionally have Spell Resistance or Psi Resistance in D&D, but Mind Shield seems more appropriate.
In a traditional fantasy game with magic I would include Magic Resistance. Mind Shield is better than Psi Resistance IMO however.