View Single Post
Old 04-20-2013, 08:33 PM   #444
SolemnGolem

Default Re: Report To The Stakeholders

GURPS gets a very steady stream of support from SJG: the catch is that it's no longer relying on the increasingly unpredictable and expensive up-front costs of traditional bricks-and-mortar hard-copy sales. GURPS now has many more titles in 4th edition PDF formats than it does in hard-copy, for reasons that we've already discussed in depth elsewhere on these boards.

GURPS gets a decent number of "flagship" title releases (many of which are of award-winning quality - vide Horror, my favorite purchase of 2012) - but its level of support is only really grasped if you take into account all the issues of Pyramid magazine too. Few other systems have such a diverse library of "crunch" alt-rules and discussions... those that even have the vision of encouraging such in their readership (most do not, in my experience).

I've seen a number of players focus on the hard-copy output for the system, and I can imagine there may be reasons for that. But if you're doing so merely out of deference to traditional practice, I'd strongly encourage checking out the official GURPS offerings on e23, and even dipping into a few of the Pyramids issues. I'm consistently impressed with the quality of the articles and supplementary rules and I think the Report to the Stakeholders assumes that GURPS aficionados are aware of those non-traditional channels and are following them.
SolemnGolem is offline   Reply With Quote