View Single Post
Old 11-19-2017, 09:09 PM   #10
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Default Re: DF Magical Styles - about Energy Orbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
RAW the high skill reduction applies to missiles, but only to the TOTAL cost not the per turn pumping
Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
I always took the RAW to be when you rolled the Dice and paid the FP, that's when you get the reduction. Everything after that was excluded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Dog View Post
Sounds like the same thing to me, really.
They are the same thing just one is elaborating on the detail of "when is fatigue cost for missiles spells applied"

The hypothetical argument that FP are reduce an a turn by turn, hence a missile spell 3 second you endurance your total FP as you pump it, does raise the question of when should the skill reduce be applied, opening the possible reasonable support for the skill reduction to apply to each second of pumping. I didn't address and evileeyore version gives a definitive answer by saying the while the casting time is variable the FP is spent only at the time of rolling hence the only support if reduction only being applied once to the total. So I admit my statement relied an assumption of that evileeyore spells out even if they add an unnecessary implication that contradicted my stament. Because together they give a more complete answer 8)

TL;DR:
Because the FP isn't actually spent until the final second that you roll for the spell hence closing off further opportunity to further pump the missile, the FP reduction from high skill is only applied once to the total FP cost of the missle spell, and not applied to each second up building the missile.

The Difference, Skill 15, Margery 1 caster can a 1d missile spell for zero FP spending 1 second pumping, but can not cast a 3d missile for 0 FP pumping for 3 seconds, but would instead cost 2 FP

Last edited by roguebfl; 11-19-2017 at 09:17 PM.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote