View Single Post
Old 09-23-2017, 02:33 PM   #5
hal

Default Re: GM Dirty Tricks for GURPS MAGIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gef View Post
Hey Hal, a GM used a variant of this trick on me: A fighter had Illusion Disguise as himself. What was the point? Simply this: No matter how hard I hit him, he seemed to take no damage. I ran, never knowing in character that he was on his last legs.
So, what other nasty things have the GM's out there done to the players? Inquiring minds want to know. Don't be shy, lets kick this off for any new DFRPG readers who may eventually stumble across threads worth reading for them.

Here is one trap I used in a Dungeon using GURPS MAGIC. Take an ordinary Ramp that is 30 feet long before it hits a flat "landing" point. Then you have to turn left 90 degrees and walk another 6 feet on level flat ground, turn left yet again 90 degrees, so as to continue walking down the ramp yet again. A series of ramps like these will have two things working for the defenders:

1) each time the ramp levels off, and you have to turn 90 degrees and 90 degrees again to continue walking down - the "level" area is actually at the edge of a DEEP drop.

2) it adds time to having to walk up or down the ramps

But - add in ICE SLICK as an enchantment with the limit that it only works on someone who is NOT wearing a ring with Black Onxy in it (what all defenders have to wear as part of their equipment), suddenly, you have situations where the defenders can't go up the ramps or down the ramps without sliding down the ramp. Sure, you can capture the onxy rings and use the ramps without issue, but that is when you have fun with other enchantments on the rings...

Long and short of it? Put the ice slicks where someone sliding down the slicked area goes right to an edge and over it for a long fall downwards. If you want make the ramps long, but narrow forcing people to walk in single file, or maybe two abreast. A mage who falls onto a slicked area, may have to use glue or rooted feet to save himself from sliding over the edge - or flight or other spells.
hal is offline   Reply With Quote