View Single Post
Old 02-14-2017, 08:39 AM   #13
Icelander

Default Re: Coast Guard response to distress call on Jewell Island, ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Says the person who has obviously already fallen under mental domination. /tinfoilhat
I'll have you know that my PC, Taylor, made all his resistence rolls against her superpowered mental influence skills.

He even successfully resisted her non-magical Sex Appeal. Too bad that he's Charitable, with a Gallant quirk and her plight ticks several boxes of his other mental disadvantages. And that his backstory establishes her as someone he once had strong feelings for and now feels responsible for not trying harder to get her treated right...

So Taylor, despite being fully aware that she could influence his mind somehow and that her most powerful mental attack was touch based, decided to ignore all the warnings not to approach the bars and refused to treat her like an animal in a cage. In the process of an emotional, intimate dialogue with locked eye-contact, he pretty much voluntarily failed his Will against her Sex Appeal while giving her several attempts to use her powers on him as he caressed her hands and promised her not to leave her behind and never to allow anyone to cage her again, not without caging him with her.

And ignored a potential combat situation, which she was clearly trying to distract him from, not because the distraction strictly speaking worked, but because he convinced himself that no matter what she might have done to the guards, she was clearly the victim here. As far as he's concerned, illegal detention is no better than kidnapping and it's a victim's right to resist any way they can, especially if all legal ways to end it proved ineffectual. Add what appears to him to be pretty convincing evidence of crimes of sexual nature against her by the guard force and there is pretty much no way that Taylor could blame her for whatever she did to them.

He's aware that she is manipulative, deceitful and cunning. He's noticed that she has been trying to affect him since he arrived, both with 'regular' flirtatious behaviour and attempts to make him jealous, and with some form of touch-based superpower that he guesses will mess with his mind if he doesn't resist it. It's just that he doesn't blame her for this. He still feels she's worth saving.

He interprets her behaviour as coping mechanisms by someone hurt, perhaps even broken, someone who has been mistreated for most of her life and been without any positive human contact, company or friends for longer than he cares to think. Someone who had no choice other than rely on social skills and, yes, manipulation, sexual or otherwise, to survive in a hellish place, without help from anyone who isn't just using her to get what they want from her. And he blames himself for not having tried hard enought to prevent this from happening to her.

It's almost as if someone deliberately designed the PC so that his nature will inevitably lead him to try to save the mentally ill, crazy dangerous, budding super-villainess, despite it being the irrational choice and exposing him and his fellow PCs to weeks of dangerous adventure, instead of them going back to their pre-adventure lives and leaving professionals to handle everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Alternately it sounds like the GM watched the last season of the BBC's Sherlock Holmes in prep for this adventure...
Could be. I didn't watch it myself, so that wasn't a spoiler for the adventure. :-)