View Single Post
Old 11-19-2019, 03:05 PM   #7
Skarg

Default Re: Lesser Wish question

My reaction is that I like it well enough IF it is used as intended / described, i.e.:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITL
to “purchase” a single Lesser Wish for 500 XP, and hold it for emergencies. This rule is specifically intended to help players keep their experienced characters alive, if they are willing to invest XP in the insurance.
But I personally would not want to allow all of the same options as a demon-bestowed Lesser Wish, specifically not a pre-specified roll for something difficult and not defensive, such as rolling a forced triple damage when aiming for the head in the dark at the king hundreds of yards away, or specifying an almost impossible roll of some other kind that should be a 6+ die roll but you specify a 6... (unless it's a roll to avoid a trap or something).

And I don't like the insta-complete healing option, either. Especially not if used deliberately and without any effort to have it have some in-world explanation. In a setting where the god you worship sometimes has bestowed miraculous healing, sure, but in the absence of a reason, I wouldn't want that.

On the other hand, the lesser uses (re-rolling a disastrous roll, or getting a limited yes/no intuition about something, or pulling off something clever that requires a bit of genius and good fortune), I think could work seamlessly in my GM style, and might likely even charge much less XP for.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote